Monday, March 16

Spring Wardrobe 2015 - Planning

The Capsule Wardrobe. It's a thing. In fact, it's a rather big thing sweeping the blogging world right now and there's a reason why everyone is so excited about it. Capsule Wardrobes:
  • Help you budget
  • Help you refine your personal style
  • Help you avoid consumerism and be happy with less
  • Help you stay organized
  • Help you pack for travel
Living more minimally, and on a budget, were two big reasons why I want to try a capsule wardrobe. Of course, I've already confessed to blowing my February clothing budget sky high, so you know I bought some new pieces. When shopping for spring I categorized my expenses into Basics and Statements. Basics should be:
  • Neutral in colour
  • Classic  in design
  • A bigger initial investment (generally)
  • Versatile
The one big item I wanted this season was a pair of distressed black skinny jeans. I found the jeans of my dreams on sale at JCrew. They're the 'Lookout Highrise Jean' and they're amazing. I've never purchased expensive jeans before but the difference is definitely telling, this is my third pair of skinny jeans and the only one I'm keeping. Not only are they comfortable (what?) they're flattering to my fuller midsection and look great with everything. I also purchased a pair of white cropped jeans (they were on sale for $15)  which should look great with a lot, and a new white T. The grey maxi dress is an upgrade from a wardrobe staple I purchased a couple years ago. This one is a little more expensive and I think will hold up longer and look great. Since I made these graphics I also added a great chambray tunic/shirt that I think will get tuns of wear.
Statement pieces aren't necessary loud or flashy, I categorize them as pieces that:
  • Are colourful 
  • Will punch up a basic outfit
  • Are of a different colour or cut then you would usually purchase
  • Might not last as long/be in fashion for as long
  • You spend less money on initially 
I purchased a few items from that JCrew sale to fit this category. A new comfy T that's not quite a basic, a couple of transitional weather sweaters in spring colours, a grey ruched skirt that's going to look great with everything. Also, this linen dress. I'm obviously thrilled about this linen blend dress: it has a lining, is beautifully made and looks amazing. I've been in love with this (almost exact) dress from Madewell for at least two years but never wanted to spend over $100. Well I got this one from Old Navy for $25. I've never owned a denim vest before but I can already tell you I absolutely love it. I expect to get a lot of wear out of this vest. 
And the rest:

Obviously I'm carrying over quite a few items from my existing closet. I'm tending towards simple, comfy pieces in neutral colours with pops of purple and olive green. I want to make sure that I have enough tops to mix in, and a good variance of comfort and classy (for my office worker day life). The dresses I chose can be mixed in for day wear, or worn out in the evening depending on how they're accessorized. This is the one category that might inflate a little as I plan my wardrobe.
Who else is interested in/already doing a capsule wardrobe? What pieces do you think you need to be successful?

I know for me, weather is big factor. In Edmonton the weather can be quite volatile and subject to dramatic change. I might need to pull out a pair of shorts, I might also need my parka still. It's hard to say. I'm getting a little antsy just looking at these bare legged models wearing my dresses. I can't wait for the day to come when I have to shave my legs because leggings are no longer required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!