Wednesday, August 28

Cooking Triumph: Balsamic Cherry Pie

Nicks dad loves cherry pie.

Generally, I'm not a big cherry pie fan myself, but I knew I wanted to make one as a joint birthday party treat! As soon as I discovered the recipe for Balsamic Cherry Pie with a Black Pepper Crust on Adventures in Cooking, I knew that was the cherry pie for me ('cause apparently it's all about me, haha).

After some frantic searching I managed to find pitted cherries in the frozen foods section of my local Sobies. I purchased two bags of them to fill my cherry pie (which worked perfectly).

After struggling for some thirty minutes with the crust recipe, I gave up and defrosted some puffed pastry. I wasn't proud of this fact. I don't know if it was the recipe (unlikely) or my own inability to mix pie crust from scratch, but the dough seemed too dry and refused to stick together very adequately. I rolled, overworked, and tossed my beautiful Black Pepper Crust. Thank god for backup frozen pie crust.

For the filling I used Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, mixed with some dark chocolate flavored balsamic vinegar from Evoolution. It really added some extra flavor that I just loved. The scent that filled my kitchen as the cherries sat in the hot pan with the vinegar was kinda intoxicating. The cherries reduced into this amazing, thick syrup of deliciousness.

Other then those differences, I followed the recipe exact, which resulted in the most delicious pie I have ever had the pleasure of eating as breakfast for four days in a row. It was that good (and perfect with coffee in the morning).

Here are the ingredients:
Filling
3 and 1/2 lbs Cherries, pitted
1 and 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
3 tablespoons butter, melted
Crust
4 cups flour
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sugar
4-6 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Glaze
1 egg, whisked
1 tablespoon water

Read the instructions at the adventures in cooking website, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!