Friday, May 3

Delicious Popcorn Cookies

 photo popcorncookies-Copy_zps8de89fb6.jpg
Not long ago I purchased myself the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman and so far I've made a couple highly successful and delicious dishes. My first, and most favorite recipe ever, was the Buttered Popcorn Cookie! Now, everyone I tell about this cookie is skeptical at first but I can tell you, and you can clearly see from these pictures, that it is the best idea anyone has ever had. These cookies are delicious! I would perhaps use slightly less popcorn, and one could experiment by adding chocolate chips or caramel to the recipe, but best start with the basics and follow it straight from the book:

 Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil
1/3 cup popcorn kernels (as I say, perhaps only go with 1/4 cup)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
To make the popcorn: Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan until hot. Add the kernels, and cover, shaking the pan to make sure all the kernels are in contact with the bottom of the pan.  As soon as you hear the first few kernels pop, agitate the pan and don't stop until they're all done popping! (5 minutes or so).  Remove from heat, add melted butter and salt, and transfer to bowl.

Dough: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugars, egg and vanilla until smooth. Whisk flour and baking soda together.  Stir flour mixture into butter-sugar mixture, until combined.  Fold in popcorn, making sure to get dough well distributed.  It’s okay if the popcorn breaks as you’re mixing, and don’t worry if it seems like there's too much popcorn for the amount of dough. There is a lot of popcorn in each cookie and it does provide an amazing crunch. If you only went with 1/4 cup of kernals you'll find forming your cookies a little easier. I found I had about a quarter cup of unused popcorn in my mixing bowl at the end I had to toss.

Bake: Roll dough into mounds the size of a golf ball or slightly bigger.  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, making sure to leave a 2 inch gap between cookies.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.  Let cool for a minute or so on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack to finish cooling.

Makes about 24 cookies

And there you have it. I would highly recommend this cookbook, it really does have a little bit of everything, and all with a delightful spin.


 photo popcorncookies2_zpsde1dd12c.jpg  photo popcorncookies4_zps228b8486.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!