Tuesday, March 19

The Best Pancakes

As long as Nick and I have been together I've enjoyed cooking for him. My favorite meal to make? Brunch. Brunch is always simple to make and never fails to impress with flavor and presentation. I've made pancakes, french toast, bread pudding, a couple failed attempts at Dutch Baby's (I'll get it one day), ham cups, all manner of eggs, vegetable hash, and more.

Last Saturday I felt the urge to make a delectable brunch for me and my sweety (who sleeps in on the weekends till 11ish, so it's brunch for me and breakfast for him, haha). I picked this lemon and ricotta pancake recipe from the website Two Peas and their Pod.

I cannot even begin to explain to you how delectable these pancakes turned out. Absolutely perfect! Soft, fluffy clouds of love -- in your mouth.

If I were you, I would double this recipe to make extras. I followed it exact and we only had six pancakes. Three each are usually plenty -- but not in this case. I could have eaten three more. And  had them again for lunch.

I used my own recipe for the blueberry sauce ... not that it's complicated. Haha. I simply used a cup or so of frozen blueberries and added a few tablespoons of water and a teaspoon of cornstarch. This part is totally free for winging it if you want to use mixed berries or whatever you have on hand (I don't like to add sugar to my berries).

For the pancakes: 
(From Two Peas and Their Pod) 

Ingredients: 

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I use enriched flour with 'the goodness of whole wheat')
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon canola oil (I used olive)

Directions: 

1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, egg, egg whites, lemon juice, lemon zest, and canola oil (I used a light olive oil). Gently fold this mixture into the dry ingredients until flour disappears. Don't over mix. The batter will be thick.
3. Heat a griddle or a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.  Drop about 1/3 cup of batter onto the hot griddle or skillet. Cook the pancakes until browned on the underside and beginning to set, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the pancakes on the other side, about two minutes longer. Continue making pancakes until batter is gone.

Serve! 


Eating this treat I seriously felt like I was in a restaurant having an expensive brunch. *remembers wistfully*.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!