Monday, March 25

Best Turkey Meatloaf

A couple weeks ago I had my parents over for dinner and in an attempt to both support their cleaner eating plan and impress them with a seriously stunning dish I decided to make something I had never made before. Now, my Mum is not a fan of trying new recipes, she prefers The Best of Bridge (because everything in there is good apparently) over the internet. Anyway, I found a recipe for white wine steamed artichokes and I happened to know Superstore had some beautiful artichokes for sale so I popped over there and bought some.

I've never even eaten a whole artichoke before let alone cooked one, but I'm adventurous so I went for it. The artichoke part was laughably easy to prepare, I put four large artichokes in a stock pot upside down (stems up) and poured in a half bottle of wine mixing it with equal parts water so the artichokes were covered half way. I also put in a generous amount of garlic and a half lemon with juices squeezed. You can add any spices or herbs you would like, and let your artichokes steam (at a simmer) with a lid on the pot for about 30 minutes to an hour, checking frequently to make sure your liquid isn't evaporating. Top up your liquid if it does. I simmered for an hour while I made my meatloaf, and my pot lid seals well so I didn't have that problem.

I adapted the recipe from Epicurious, here

That was it! Super easy, they mostly get left alone, and in the end all I had to do was plant them on the plate to serve. I also whipped up a butter sauce for dipping the leaves.

Which brings me to how to eat an artichoke. Haha, we literally had to look it up on Youtube because none of us had ever eaten one whole before! It's really interesting, you pick the leaves off and dip inner end into butter and scrape some of the flesh off into your mouth. The closer you get to the inside of the artichoke the more flesh. It was great fun! We were all joking that it's the only food where you burn off all the calories imparted through eating it.

Now, I wasn't teasing when I titled this post best turkey meatloaf, oh no, I would go as far as to say that it was the best meatloaf period. I have never had meatloaf so juicy and flavorful before! Of course I couldn't say any of that because it would have been 'tootin' my own horn' as my family says. Haha.

Here's the recipe, taken from the Jennie-O turkey store website.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic minced
1 (20-ounce) package Lean Ground Turkey (I used two packages we bought from superstore to equal just over 20 ounces).
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs (I used panko).
¼ cup egg substitute or 1 egg
¾ cup ketchup, divided
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
salt, if desired
 
Directions: 
Heat oven to 350ºF. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool 5 minutes.

Add ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, ¼ cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt, if desired to turkey mixture; mix well. Press into 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Spread remaining ½ cup ketchup over top.

Bake 1 hour or until the internal temperature of meatloaf is well-done, 165ºF as measured by a meat thermometer. Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before slicing. 
 
 
Everyone gobbled this meatloaf down and next time I make it I think I will double the recipe to either make a thicker loaf (you can tell in the pictures each slice wasn't very tall) or two loaves. If you do double the recipe for a thicker/taller loaf make sure you use your meat thermometer to confirm done-ness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!