Thursday, January 31

Boozy Pecan Pie

On the weekend I made two of these boozy chocolate pecan pies! We had friends over to watch football and the next day we visited my parents so I made one pie for the boys and one for family.
The recipe caught my eye because I love baking with alcohol! I find it gives everything more depth and flavor. This particular pie called for Jack Daniels so we went out and bought one of those little airplane sized bottles for $3, and I have some left over!

I procured the recipe here, but because the domain has expired and it's difficult to read I'll share it here as well. 

1 refrigerated pie crust
4 large room temperature eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Jack Daniels
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecan halves
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Set your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the eggs, sugar, and corn syrup in a large bowl. Whisk well.
Add the whiskey, butter and vanilla. Whisk again.

Scatter the pecans and chocolate chips into the pie shell, whisk the filling once more and then pour it over the pecan and chocolate mixture (at this point I realized I had way too much filling for the shallow store bought pie shell. If you make your own these measurments will probably work out, if you're using a store bought crust like I did you may want to plan on making two and add a little more of everything, or cut the recipe back a little.)

Bake the pie about 45 minutes, rotating it 180 degrees half way through baking. When it's ready the top of the filling will be browned and the edges puffed.

You can serve it hot from the oven or refrigerated!

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the chocolate in the pie, so I may make another with more pecans and no chocolate chips. I couldn't really detect the Jack Daniels but I felt that it was simply overpowered by the chocolate.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!