Wednesday, September 5

Baking Bread

My mother has a no knead bread recipe that she swears by. Family gatherings? Social events? Tasty supper night? Out comes the no knead bread. It's crusty, soft in the middle, delicious: its her signature. In the interest of fairness it's only right that I too should have a signature bread. SO I have adopted one that does not involve expensive equipment like a bread machine or even my mothers trusty dutch oven. My bread recipe (or at least the one I've adopted as my one) requires only a regular loaf pan and a mixing bowl.

And beer.

Your favorite beer.

I appropriated the recipe from the blog Gimme Some Oven. It is billed as a simple, easy to make bread with a measly seven ingredients. Perfect I thought. I happened to have quite a few leftover Alexander Keiths in my fridge from a previous gathering we had hosted so that is the beer I used. I varied from her recipe only far enough to add some cheddar to the top of the loaf before putting it in the oven.

Here's the recipe as taken from Gimme Some Oven who in turn appropriated the recipe from Ezra pound cake. The original can be found here. (Gimme Some Oven is the wonderful person who thought of bringing honey into the mix. Although I made the bread twice and preferred it with agave nectar.)

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar
  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
  • 4 Tbsp. (half stick) butter, melted
  • Cheese (optional) 
Method:
(Makes 1 loaf)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9″ x 5″ x 3″ inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer and honey into the dry ingredients until just mixed. 

Pour half the melted butter into the loaf pan. Then spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter.  (Use a pastry brush to spread it around if you’d like.)

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick/knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve immediately.



The bread came out wonderfully and I've since made it twice. The outside is very crunchy and delicious due to the fact that it is (for all intents and purposes) fried in the butter. Yummy right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!