Monday, July 9

Summer Reading

As some of you may know -- I'm kinda a writer.

I don't do much of it here, and that's on purpose. I've been writing for years, I did it in university for four years, and now I do it as my career in an office. The blog is fun for me because I don't have to worry about writing. I can focus on other hobbies, like style, cooking, sewing, and photography. I think another reason is that I haven't written creatively for a long time. I've focused on school work and now work work.

This spring and summer I've been getting back into reading. In university I kinda read myself out with all those assigned books. After I graduated I didn't read much for about a year -- finally I could focus on other things! This summer I'm getting my head back into the books and it's really helping me open up in my writing as well. Reading a good book gets creativity flowing, and you need a lot of creativity to write a novel or a screenplay.

I started this spring by devouring The Hunger Games -- and wouldn't you know it, despite not being the best novels ever written I was able to absorb a lot of information about the structure and pacing of a successful book and a light bulb went off in my head that got me working on re-structuring my novel. I want to continue absorbing from literature and regurgitating that into my own fiction. Writers are magpies -- and I'm seeing a lot of shiny things these days!

Without further ado, here's a peak at my summer reading list. I'll tell you now that I buy almost all of my books on Kobo and read them on my e-reader. Super convenient, and cheaper then buying them in print.

1. The Hunger Games Trilogy
I read these books back in the spring and would suggest them to anyone looking for somewhere to start their summer reading.
2. The Sookie Stackhouse Series
So far I've only read the first two books from Charlaine Harris's now famous series of Vampire books. I admit, I'm a big fan of True Blood and reading the books has been equally as entertaining. It's been really fun seeing the differences and similarities between the TV series and the novels.Parts of them are downright silly, but summer is a time to enjoy a little sillyness. 
3. The Nikki Heat Series
Continuing with the theme of TV shows, and sillyness, at this very moment  I'm reading the second book in the Nikki Heat series. I actually read book one, Heat Rises, quite a few months ago and just purchased book two this week. They're really like extended episodes of the series Castle, except with the names changed, which can be a little confusing but is ultimately hilarious.
4. Let's Pretend this Never Happened 
This mostly true memoir by 'the Bloggess' Jenny Lawson was hilarious. This is actually the book with which I kicked off my summer reading challenge to myself. It's got taxidermy, swearing, romance, dead dogs,bobcats, giant metal chickens named Beyonce, and is genuinely hilarious and consuming. I enjoyed it immensely. If you would like to get a feel for the book try checking out her blog thebloggess.com
5. Redshirts
This is the next book on my list of must reads. I'm really excited to read it as it came highly recommended by the geeks in my office.
6. It's Your Money
I'm a pretty big fan of Gail's TV shows and her tough love approach to finances. Me and Mr. Nick would love to do a lot of things together, like travel, get engaged, married, buy a house -- you know, all those white picket fence things, and I'm told the first step is to have money. SO I bought this book. 
7. The Great Gatsby 
That's right, I've never read the Great Gatsby before. I'm pretty bad when it comes to getting around to the classics. I'm usually too busy reading science fiction. Anyway, this summer I picked a few classics to read and this is at the top of my list. 
8. Jane Eyre 
Another I haven't read yet but have obviously been hearing about for years. Gonna give it a try. 
9. Anne of Green Gables 
Not only is the series free on Kobo, but I am a big Megan Follows fan thanks to her roll as Anne and yet have never read the books. I'm pretty excited to get around to these.
 10. A Visit From The Goon Squad 
 This is one that came highly recommended by several friends, so I went ahead and bought it. 
11. The Dante Valentine Series
This series is a major guilty pleasure of mine. They are in no way well written (well, maybe in some ways, but... not in other ways.) and Lillith Saintcrow has this annoying habit of having her main character think things and then immediately say the exact same thing out loud (for example: He's not a very nice guy, I thought. "You're not a very nice guy" I had to tell him.) This is hugely irritating. If you can't get over that, I would not suggest this book. HOWEVER, and that's a big however in all capitals, I became kinda obsessed with the main love interest and the romance part of the series. It was kinda worth it... which is why I'm re-reading them this summer.

What are you reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!